Thursday, November 12, 2009

VENTING!

For those of you that know me I have quite a record of trying new schools out. Its been fun to move all around Utah and even to Hawaii but I now decided that its time to get serious and since I feel like I have taken ever class there is to take, you would think I would have enough credits to get an associates at least. So I decided to call SLCC to ask If I had enough credits done at SLCC in order to get my associates there. I also wanted to know if their was any classes that I was missing that I could take next semester.

So here is how my experience went.

I called SLCC to find out what I needed to do. They informed me that all I needed was 1/4 of my credits done at SLCC and to meet with a counselor to evaluate my credits.

I didn't know what classes did or didn't count so i thought meeting with a counselor was a great idea.

I didn't think it would take long, I printed off all my transcripts so that I could show what classes I had( I didn't want to get them sent to the school yet because it cost money and i didn't want to send them there if I ended up having to go someone else), wrote down how many credits from each school I had. So I went in a hour before I had to be at work, thinking that was plenty of time! Well it would have been!

I put my name on a list and sat down to wait for my name to be called. About 5 minutes after waiting I see a lady come out of her office looking so lost. I was hoping I wasn't next on the list. Oh I sure was!! she called me into her office still looking lost in the world. Bless her heart! I sit down and begin to tell her that I need to know the fastest way I can declare my associates degree here. I handed her my printed out transcripts and explained to her that I had gone to SLCC three years ago and that I called the day before and was told that all I needed was 1/4 of my classes through SLCC. I was needed to know if the classes I did take a SLCC was classes I needed and if there were some I was missing and which ones were they so I could take them next semester. She looked at me with a confused look as if she had no idea where to start. So what did she do???? pulled out her huge counselor instructions manual and read it page by page! at that point I didn't know what part of my question she was trying to look up. So then I thought that maybe she didn't understand my question and tried to explain it better. She still looked so confused and continued trying to find the answer in her little book. At this point it is 9:45 and I have work at 10:00. after flipping page by page of this book while talking and laughing to herself) she tells me that she doesn't think I can graduate because I recently didn't go there.(you could tell she didn't not read that in the book anywhere that was just what she THOUGHT) That's all she had to say and pretty much was going to let me walk out the door.... I explained to her that I didn't think that was right and was not told that when I called. So she said ok ill go check. She leaves me waiting in her office for another ten minutes.

She then returns and tells me to follow her clear across the building to find the answer. I realize while we are walking she has no idea where she is going, so then she starts asking other people. YES THIS LADY DOES WORK AT SLCC, who would have thought. Finally we find the graduation office and she tells me to take another seat while she goes talks to someone else. At this point I am so annoyed. She was not helping at all, oh but it only got better. So she comes back to tell me that she has good and bad news, " You MIGHT be able to graduate from here but before you need to apply to the school which is $30 and take the placement tests". Wait a minute, why would I need to take a placement test when I have already taken all my English and math that I need, I do not need to be placed in any class lady! So i Continue to ask her:

me: "I have never heard of that, it that something they only do here?

Lady:(notice I am not calling her a counselor because she was nowhere near counseling me)
she says, " ya I THINK that its a new law in Utah that you have to take a reading test"

Me:" So why do I need to apply if I have already been accepted"

Lady: " Ummm I don't know, you just do"

Me:" ok well is it just that reading placement test or do I need to take the math too?"

Lady: " ummm I THINK just the reading"

again she says it like she is done with me and I should be on my way.

Me: " well could you find out maybe?"

Again she leaves to go ask someone. This time she returns with a young boy to ask the lady at the front desk where I was sitting. No joke I am sitting right there and they are talking as if I was in another room. The lady was trying to explain who knows what to the other lady while laughing as if something was funny about what I was trying to figure out. HELLO I AM RIGHT HERE. They then sit here looking at my transcripts,talking and discussing what classes I need to take. "Ok so she needs to talk English 1010, History". I couldn't take it anymore and finally ended up yelling out, LOOK I HAVE TAKEN THEM ALL LOOK AT THE TRANSCRIPTS. I just need to know If I have enough credits here to get my associates. It was like a light bulb turned on, the young boy said, "Oh ya you are in our system so you won't need to apply and you do have all the classes you need." He handed me a paper and said all you need to do is fill out this paper and send us your official transcripts.

THAT'S IT!! after all this time. HOLY COW!

This makes me so mad, not to be rude but this lady should not be working as a counselor, I would understand if it was her first day, and maybe it was but for her to give me that wrong information and let me be on my way, that's wrong. Who know I could be in school another ten years because of this lady telling me all my classes had to be currently from SLCC.

No wonder why people spend so much WASTED time and money on school! Seriously!

Good news was that I can get my associate so that I never have to go to SLCC again!

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree Mal.. Counselors are ridiculous... I spent 2 hours going to six different counselors because none of them thought they could fix my problem, when really it took a click of the mouse for the first one to fix it when I went back angrily. I really don't love counselors, and its so frustrating that students have to get everything signed off by them because half of the time they don't even know what they are supposed to tell you! I understand now why it takes so long for some people to graduate. I'm super sorry that you had to sit through all of that.. did your boss get mad at you for being late??? :)

    ReplyDelete